What Are Writing Prompts?
Writing prompts are anything that helps push the writer to a new scene or book. It helps to overcome writer’s block or open the mind to new ideas. They come in any form that pushes the writer’s imagination.
What Makes Picture Prompts Different?
Picture prompts are one style of writing prompts many authors use. It is very powerful for those who are more inclined toward visual learning. The writer can see the picture but come up with their own perspectives. Words are not directing the writer. Their own eyes and viewpoint are.
How to Use This Picture Writing Prompt
Look at the picture above. What do you see? Would could be in this scene? I might see one thing and you might see another. To help you out, we have listed below some prompts sorted by genre. Feel free to use them. But don’t let them limit you. Let them be a launching pad for an even better idea.
- Magical tulips are taking over a kingdom.
- A mystery arises in a kingdom where the aristocracy is fearful of the secrets that someone who leaves a white flower on their pillow knows.
- Flowers rule this kingdom, but nobody knows the truth of how.
- A demon challenges his female victims to chess for their freedom.
- There are about to be droplets of blood on the tulip.
- All that is beautiful is deadly and leaves one wishing they could die.
- Valuables are disappearing all over the city from the wealthy and powerful. The thief leaves a white flower behind. But who is it?
- The owner of a house notices small things moved. A chess piece when no one had been home to play. A picture turned slightly too far.
- A chess board is missing. Left behind is a strange message with one chess piece left behind.
- A chess match is set between the king and one of his knights. The outcome could change the entire country.
- Court intrigue and international plans are laid out as two rulers play a game of chess.
- One king uses a game of chess to teach his son how to fight a war.
- A vampire challenges a woman to a game of chess. If she wins, he’ll leave her alone, but if she loses, she’ll be dinner.
- A woman’s husband recently passed, but he keeps leaving her flowers on the chessboard they used to play.
- Supernatural creatures play a game of life size chess. The outcome is beyond one’s imagination.
- A man tried to reconnect with a past love by sitting this up as a surprise after a chance meeting.
- This is how a woman decides to ask her boyfriend to marry her after she turned down his proposal the month before.
- At a chess tournament, a woman keeps getting love messages attached to tulips.
Have these given you ideas for a story? Great! Use them and have some fun writing.