What Are Writing Prompts?
Writing prompts are anything that helps a writer create a scene. It gets them past mental blocks or even just inspires them with a new twist. They can come in any form from the start of a sentence to an actual event. Pictures. Movies. Words. Memories. Anything can be a writing prompt.
Here we are focusing on picture writing prompts. Why pictures? Because they can be so powerful. I’m a visual person. I can look at a picture today and see one thing. Tomorrow might show me something different. One picture can send me a hundred messages. Plus, they can bring out some of our strongest emotions.
How to Use These Ideas
Look at the picture above. What first comes to mind when you see? Now put it aside for an hour, a day, or even a week. Look at it again. What do you see? What answers can you give to the following questions?
- What just happened before this picture was taken?
- What secret could the picture be hiding?
- What is about to happen?
Don’t accept what the picture is showing you. Look beyond it and see what messages it is trying to hide from you.
To help you, we have listed some ideas below. They are sorted by genre. Feel free to use these ideas as a basis for your story or just a single scene. Don’t limit your imagination.
- Taking a vacation, a woman gets caught up in the beauty of the city around her. When she sees a job opening in her field, she applies and finds herself falling head over heels in love with the arrogant boss.
- A masked ball is held at this old site. The entire scene is romantic yet when a mysterious masked man steals one woman’s heart, she’ll do everything she can to find him.
- A party held here for businesses introduces one woman to the man who is trying to take over her business.
- A statue is vandalized. Upon investigation, something is hidden inside.
- An empty theatre reveals a mystery and many secrets about a by-gone era.
- Who is trying to tear down the old building that has been used as an art gallery for many years and will kill to have it done?
- What if this is the portal between worlds, and it is discovered by a human?
- Ghosts that haunt this building are in the middle of their own version of the Civil War.
- A reporter tries to uncover the truth of a ghost story only to discover how true it really is.
- The picture represents the hall of wizards of a land embroiled in a civil war.
- This picture from another world. The fact that it now exists in our world means that something has gone horribly wrong, and the worlds are merging. What other items from this other world will end up in ours?
- This is a school for dragon riders.
- Within the area, several things are happening during a civil war. See how people from all walks of life who move past this area are affected.
- A woman takes over management of the theatre when such a role normally went to men.
- In this building is a club where many meet to discuss plans to deal with the war.
- The impact of the Asian culture on ours.
- History of Asian buildings.
- A traveler’s guide to Asian architecture.
- Visiting a new city, two children who meet for the first time discover secret passages.
- This is a store of magic that takes children anywhere they want to be, even imaginary lands.
- A new hospital proves to be as magical as the marketing experts say.
- An old church has strange happenings. Is it a miracle or is there something wrong going on in the old building.
- A young pastor rents an old building in exchange for fixing it up. He turns it into a ministry that changes everyone’s lives including his own.
- What happens when a vision is seen in an old building destined to be torn down?
What ideas have come to you? Have fun and explore your crazy creative side.